Health experts have projected that in order to win the war against COVID-19, between 75 and 85 percent of the population needs to receive the vaccine and as such, New York has made it a top priority to ensure vulnerable and underserved communities are not left behind.
On December 21, 2020, Governor Cuomo announced the launch of New York's Vaccine Equity Task Force chaired by Secretary of State Rossana Rosado, Attorney General Letitia James, National Urban League President & CEO Marc Morial, and Healthfirst President & CEO Pat Wang. The Task Force will work to break down barriers to vaccination and ensure there is equitable distribution of the vaccine across the state.
Task Force Members
- Rossana Rosado, New York State Secretary of State
- Letitia James, New York Attorney General
- Marc Morial, National Urban League President & CEO
- Pat Wang, Healthfirst President & CEO
- Frederick Shack, CEO, Urban Pathways, Inc.
- Dr. Havidán Rodríguez, President, SUNY Albany
- Murad Awawdeh, Interim Co-Executive Director, New York Immigration Coalition
- Dr. Henry Chen, President, SOMOS Community Care
- Phyllis Jackson, Founder and Executive Director, Interdenominational Health Ministry Coalition; Community Wellness Project Manager; Common Ground Health
- Guillermo Chacón, President, Latino Commission on AIDS and Founder, Hispanic Health Network
- George Gresham, President, 1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East
- Ruth Hassell-Thompson, Special Advisor for Policy and Community Affairs, NYS Homes and Community Renewal
- Frankie Miranda, President and CEO, Hispanic Federation
- Rev. Dr. Calvin Butts, Pastor, Abyssinian Baptist Church
- Jo-Ann Yoo, Executive Director, Asian American Federation
- Dr. Hazel Dukes, President, NAACP New York State Conference
- Rev. Dr. W. Franklyn Richardson, Senior Pastor, Grace Baptist Church
- Judith Watson, CEO, Mount Vernon Neighborhood Health Center
- Dr. Rosa Gil, Founder, President and CEO, Comunilife, Inc.
- Dr. Wayne Riley, President, SUNY Downstate Medical Center; Chair, Board of Trustees, New York Academy of Medicine
- Danny Barber, Chair, NYCHA Citywide Council of Presidents; President, Jackson Houses Tenant Association
- Kyle Bragg, President, 32BJ SEIU
- Karim Camara, Executive Director and Deputy Commissioner, Governor's Office of Faith-Based Community Development Services
- Rev. Mark E. Blue, President, Buffalo Chapter NAACP